This recipe is not for the faint of heart! You gotta really be craving something ooey gooey and deliciously sinful! When I made these I was totally craving the dish. I’d never made it before, but I’d seen many approaches to the recipe online and all I could think about was making it for myself! Be creative with your toppings!
When my brother and I were young, we called these potato nuggets ‘potato poopies’… LOL. No idea where it came from but it kinda stuck in my head. I figured it may not be that appetizing to call the recipe ‘potato poopie nachos’!
(Adjust quantity of ingredients according to the crowd you’re feeding)
Frozen tater tots or similar tater nuggets
1 lb (less/more) of ground beef or spicy italian ground sausage meat
Cheddar cheese (grated) or pre-grated mexican/spicy cheese in bag
Salsa, sour cream, hot sauce for serving
– Pre-heat the oven according to the instructions on the Tater Tot package. Once oven is heated, place the tater tots in the oven and cook according to instructions.
– Brown ground beef or sausage meat and season with taco seasoning as you would if you were making tacos. Once cooked and seasoned to your liking, drain the meat (I like to put the meat in a paper towel lined bowl to absorb the excess grease).
– Slice the green onions chop the tomatoes. Put the tomatoes in a bowl lined with paper towels so the excess moisture can drain.
– Once the tater tots are cooked, place in an oven-safe serving dish. Top with the meat and cheese. Place under the broiler to melt the cheese.
– Top with tomatoes and green onions and serve with salsa and sour cream.